Sunday 27 May 2007

Joyama

It's silly-o'clock again and we're trying to make our way to Shinagawa station to catch the 6:40AM Tokaido train to Mishima...I'm barely awake and once more wondering why I like climbing so much, vaguely contemplating taking up a more stay-at-home hobby, like crotchet or something.


Greg and I find a very tired looking Annalisa ambling up the train station; apparently she didn't sleep since last night because she was up all night at a dinner party (fondue) and when she got home had just enough time to pack her climbing gear and head out to the station to catch our train. When we got on the train we all shoved our bags away then collapsed on to seats to have a sleep. Bill got on at Yokohama, we all had a good little chat to welcome Greg back for his little holiday in Japan, then I got on with the business of sleeping. At Mishima, after a good two hours on the train we had to change to a different line, which was aweful for me because I'd gone into the station on my pasmo card (like the oyster card) and couldn't get out on it. There was a long confusing argument with the station people to work out what we had to do to get me my ticket to get the connecting train. It was all a bit rushed, but we got it in the end. There were some amazing views of Mount Fuji from the train which passed through the flat flood plains of a very wide valley with protuding rocks on either side.






After a taxi ride and a short walk...I say 'walk' I mean a mini trek by wayway standards... and in about half an hour we're at the bottom of the climb, with about 30 other people. It seems that a whole group of friends from a climbing wall have turned out today for a proper outdoor climb. On the bright side we have company at the bottom of the rock and they are all top roping the bottom pitches, so we get ourselves on the multi.



Annalisa and Bill on the 2nd pitch of the multi....this wasn't even the 'small' roof that Bill had been going on about! dammit...I *hate* over hangs...



Greg abseiling (rappelling) off the climb...after he had dropped his belay device off the wall; which, luckily, one of the other climbers had caught.

Apart from the amazing view (and company, of course) there were a lot of very hairy black catapillars all over place... I found a few on my climb itself...mocking me and my inability to climb...and there was an entire bush, at the bottom of the climb, completly infested with the things...

After all the strenous climbing, we headed back to Tokyo, with some beers...at the station, there was a very cunning free, open air onsen thing...very convenient for soaking those tired feet! genius...

No comments: