Tuesday 5 June 2007

my engagement party

Amy wanted to hold a party, I had gotten engaged, so what better way could there be; but combine the two and have a engagement party.

Amy is not only my well-loved Malaysian 'senpai' (mentor-thingy; despite the fact I'm a very well disguised British, and even more covert Malaysian) but is my main futon provider...well, my *only* futon provider; if you've stayed at mine and have slept on a futon, it's Amy's! Anyway, we have a deal going; she cooks the main course in her lovely larger apartment, and I come over with some dessert, usually some form of Kay-kieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (cake)! She's also been instrumental in showing me all the best places in Tokyo.

It's Sunday, and I've spent my morning baking a chocolate cake, followed by a apple crumble...I've just put the apple crumble in to the oven, which Annalisa helped me to prepare, and I'm already late to go over to Amy's. So, we take wine glasses and the chocolate cake...Annalisa and I just followed some other people into the building who happened to be going at the same time...then we popped up to the 14th floor (which has much nicer views than my little room on the 3rd floor) then knocked on Amy's door...she shouted something through the door; but to be honest i didn't really hear what she said. We waited, and waited a bit more...
So, I'm standing there with two wine glasses in one hand and a large and hot chocolate cake balanced on the other when the door is opened...I'm busy concentrating on not dropping my poor cake and not smashing the glasses on the floor as I enter the room. It's a bit strange because I can hear the wedding march playing, THEN there is this *bang* and Amy giggling; I'm still concentrating on my lovely cake, then I see Chin-san pulling some kind of cracker...and it all starts to make more sense. I finally put down the cake. Then notice that there's a poster stuck on to Amy's window saying:


I'm still in shock that somebody had tried to kill me with a party popper, then Chin-san runs over to point out the lovely spelling error made due to Amy's complete lack of sleep for the past 24hours but steely determination to make me a sign. I *love* it! It's the *best* sign ever! The whole thing (including my lack of reaction; Annalisa reacted more than I did) has been videoed and I'm currently waiting for the photos from Amy...

I had the honour of popping all the champagne bottles, which I did over the balcony to see how far we could send the cork. It's an awesome lunch, with champagne and sukiyaki dipped in raw egg...*delicious*...okay, it may not sound that nice...but despite the high cholesterol hot meat dipped in whisked raw egg is awesome.

No comments: