Saturday 16 February 2008

Stand-up comedy in Tokyo, The Punchline

It's Friday night and we headed off to Harajuku (原宿) to get our first taste of stand-up comedy in Tokyo.

First we rushed a bit of dinner at the sushi bar (回転寿司) on Omotesando (表参道) then hobbled down to Pizza Express where Punchline; a standup comedy event, held about once a month, which drags comedians to asia. Last night there were 3 comedians, 2 from the UK and one from Canada at some point but who currently lives in the UK.

Basically, A guy managed to organise taking over a restaurant for one evening a month to host a small stand-up thing. The place was packed with foreigners, I guess the thing was aimed at ex-pats missing a taste of home...I have to say that it was the most amount of white people I had been in the same room in with for a long time. The stand up itself wasn't too bad, there were some hilarious bits, but mainly all three comedians focussed their acts on sex which made it a bit crude and tedious at times... so the hilarity wore a bit thin. To be honest, for the princely sum of 6500yen (and that was just for the show) it was a bit much... I don't think I'd really want to go again in Tokyo...I'd rather wait 'til I'm home.

No comments: