Thursday 16 August 2007

my first earthquake

Yeah...I've only been here 10 months, with lots of earthquakes going on that seem to bypass me...and FINALLY on Thursday.

It being 4am...it was subconsciously incoperated into my dream...when I did finally open my eyes, I awoke to Greg sitting up looking at me, saying: 'wayway...earthquake'... Had my vocal chords been in gear, I would have answered, but they were in sleep mode, so I dreamily experienced the room rocking backwards and forwards. my immediate thought was; 'it's got to be quite a big one. and quite close to Tokyo...hmmm....nice.'

Then it stopped.

'How big do you think it was?!' say's Greg, who had obviously been up for a while before the earthquake...

'Oh...I don't know!' - thinking it's very early in the morning to be asking such a question... I'll google it later.

'Go on guess! just for fun!'

...oh god.
'...arf... 5...it's got to be close...didn't feel all the other ones...we're too low down....' I mutter...if I answer him, then maybe I can go back to sleep...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Way-Way,

Which earthquake Internet site should I read if USGS ENS [ens@usgs.gov] is not a good one. Gregouf told me that....

;-)
Francois

wayway said...

Francois,

I assume, for Japan, that the best one is the Japanese Meteorological agency http://www.jma.go.jp/en/quake/

wayway said...

There's also this site for recent earthquake reports...

http://gees.usc.edu/GEER/recent_geotechnical_engineering.htm