Tuesday 21 August 2007

Plane in FLAMES!

I saw a lovely article about the China Airlines plane which burst into a lovely fireball at Okinawa airport...mmmmm toasty.

On the bright side all the passengers and crew are safe...which is apparently a turn up for the books considering the little stories that I found whilst browsing around the rest of the BBC website; crashes into the sea, at airports, into mountains...

Anyway, it all made me very glad that I had decided against being a cheap scummy student and booking the cheapest flight to Malaysia via said airline, mainly due to the ridiculous stop-over-age at HK...

Anyhoo...this afternoon I had just come back into lab after a little wonder in the sweltering heat of the Japanese summer [which has been a consistent 35degrees and blisteringly sunny for the past 2weeks at the least - and it's humid...did I mention it's humid!??!...well it is. Very humid. could cut the air with a scythe...Oh no. Sorry, that's DEATH isn't it...I don't have a scythe. I have a very strange mop if that helps. no? Oh well nevermind.] ...where was I? ....errrr...oh yeah.

So, I walk back into lab and find Satoさん holding up a full page newspaper article on the fireball of doom to Goさん (Yes. There is a guy in my lab called Go. Vietnamese, if it helps you). The article was in english...and why Sato had part of an english newspaper; I don't know. Anyway, as soon as I saw this I pointed at it and exclaimed "haha!!! fireball!!! ...hey! Lan! Did you hear about the plane bursting into flames? China Airlines....Okinawa wasn't it?" - Lan actually seems a bit preoccupied, and not particularly enthused by a plane on fire... So, the conversation continues with Goさん and Satoさん.

'Haha! China Airlines あぶない!!!!'
Satoさん obvisouly agrees, I can tell because he's laughing - although that could be at my enthusiasm for planes becoming fireballs...
'Yes, but they are cheap', says Go
yeah...cheap, but dangerous; I'm not sure I'm such a fan of their track record right now. There's obviously a reason why their flights are cheap...the extensive stop overs in HK or Taiwan...but HEY!... you get value for money...if you're lucky you can get a free cremation...in a very large plane shaped coffin.

Go points out that these little mishaps only seem to happen in 3year intervals with China Airlines...So, it's probably safe to fly with them now, because they aren't scheduled to have another of these episodes for another 3...Maybe just fly with them for 2years from now... then avoid them like the plague for a year or so, until the coast is clear... then you're all sorted.

Yeah. Sounds like a cunning plan to me.

No comments: