Saturday 15 September 2007

Yakitori [焼鶏]

Oh. My. GOD!

I have been to, possibly *the* best Yakitori [焼鶏] restaurant EVER!!!!

My Japanese friend, Koya, is leaving for America next Thursday, for ten months. So we were having a little goodbye party, close to Hongo Campus. It was a truly international gathering: Japanese, American, a Japanese that had lived in a lot of different places in American, Chinese, French, and British. The food was excellent, and it just kept coming. Of course, it being a student gathering, it was Nomihodai [飲みほうだい] (all you can drink). But that wasn’t the thing which made this particular Yakitori fanTABulous! It was the absolutely awesome waiter, called Kojima [小島]. Who, had a rather high pitched voice. It was Awwwwwesome! I really couldn’t tell if he was putting it on or it was actually his real voice. He was the *best* waiter EVER! Super-duper nice too. I could have taken him home and wrapped him up.

But then, we also noticed that all the other waiters seemed to have high pitched voices too. However, NONE of them were as good as Kojima’s [小島]!!! He RULES!

We spent most of the night planning how to excuse Koya’s ‘surfing’ into a civil engineering related research topic. I was all for correlating the amount of surfing that Koya does to reduction in Global Warming…I could tell that people were a bit sceptical at first, but I’m sure they’ll come around…

Another visit of this Yakitori is definitely in order.

Aaahhhhhhhhhh! AND! Not only did we have an awesome waiter, but they taught me a new Japanese ‘thing’. A way of sending people off, or saying ‘goodbye’: involves rhythmic clapping. Can only really be demonstrated. I shall endeavour to recreate it for you. I’m going to bring it to the UK with force! It will be Amazing!

No comments: