Saturday 7 April 2007

Me and My Harmonica...

Tremble in your little pixie boots....for wayway is now in possession of a weapon of mass destruction....yes, that's right she now has a harmonica. I would advise you buy some ear plugs... So, yeah...after a night in Roppongi watching some dude from the deep south of America strum country blues on his guitar (I was sitting about 1m from him) and tunefully whistling into his mouth organ, I decided what any sane person would decide and proclaimed that I would get* a harmonica! and after hearing a long rant about how much I wanted one, my prayers were answered in the form of a leaving present to Thailand. How cool is that?!?! I'd never realised that harmonicas were so complicated...it involves breathing in and out in the right holes...a form of coordination that my poor little chicken lungs, asthmatic windpipe and weedy little diaphragm are most definitely not accustomed to. In fact, I was so excited when I opened it, I immediately set about trying to make it make some lovely tunes...unfortunately all I found was 'Mary had a little lamb' which on my first try I nearly passed out from the whole controlling my breathing effort...although it could have been coupled with the joy of discovering that it makes sounds half a pitch up when you draw your breath through the harmonica than when blowing through it...ahhhh the joy. For me. not for anyone with in ear shot... my neighbours may hate me... i hope these walls are well sounds proofed...

Actually, the harmonica managed to get me stopped at nearly every airport scan on the way to and from Railay bay…they were a tad suspicious about a metal block in my bag…

*please note i say 'get' not 'learn to play to any level of skill'...

No comments: