Monday 16 April 2007

Romance, a la lonely planet...

Before I left for Japan, my brother very thoughtfully (he's sensible like that...unlike silly me) bought me a guide book for Tokyo and a Japanese phrase book. After a couple of weeks whilst I was flicking through the thing, to see what useful stuff it had for me, my eyes caught a section entirely dedicated to ROMANCE... yes, romance. I assume this is some of the *core* stuff you need when getting around a foreign country. Like: 'I take mushrooms occasionally'...yes, I can really imagine slipping that into a sentence at uni...


My favourite ones are summerised below:

under the heading of SEX:
- Don't worry I'll do it myself
- It helps to have a sense of humour


I would also like to point out that the phrase 'Sukoi!' means 'Extreme'...and can be a positive or negative thing, depending on context...so it could have been extremely good...ie amazing, or extremely baaad...ie aweful.


Quan pointed out the fact that under the heading of 'Love' [in the order of severity]

- Will you...
...Go out with me?
...Marry me?
...meet my parents?


...Just imagine the quality of the intimate moment that you're trying to create whilst working up the courage to ask someone out and having to pause, look down to thumb through your precious phrase book to come up with something like: will you marry me?

SURELY, if you need a phrase book to be saying that kind of stuff you'd be pretty much doomed. either that or it could work out beautifully because you really wouldn't understand what profanities they were shouting at you in the heat of a nasty argument, thus there would be less to apologise for etc...

It doesn't stop there. It get's better. The pièce de résistance was found by Miss. Annalisa J Carlotta under dentistry (of all things):

- Come back, I haven't finished!
- bite down on this...


No comments: